What is Sports Massage?
Sports massage, or remedial massage is a hands-on practise where our therapists use a combination of massage techniques to produce a variety of health promoting effects.
Why should I book in for a sports massage?
There are many reasons as to why you will benefit from this treatment, these include;
- Scar Tissue Release – Breaking down myofascial, and connective tissue adhesions.
- Mobility – Improving a joints range of motion by releasing muscle tightness.
- Circulation – Pumping fluid through blood vessels, and lymph vessels to drive out chemical waste from inured tissue, and bring in new fresh blood flow for healing.
- Drainage – Increased tissue permeability as the pores in tissue membranes open, enabling fluids, and nutrients to pass through. This helps remove waste products such as lactic acid, and encourage the muscles to take up oxygen and nutrients which help them recover quicker.
- Pain Relief – Decreasing pain by removing tension, and waste products in the tissue, and releasing the bodies endorphins.
- Relaxation – Muscles relax through heat generated, circulation and stretching. Mechanoreceptors which sense touch, pressure, tissue length and warmth are stimulated causing a reflex relaxation.
- Anxiety reduction – through the effects mentioned above relaxation is induced and so reduces anxiety levels.
- Invigorating – if massage is done with brisk movements such as what would be done before an event then this can produces an invigorating feeling.
Will it hurt?
In order for the treatment to be effective, sports massage must focus on painful, tight and aching muscles. The fact that the therapist will be working on these painful tissues often means that there is some degree of discomfort associated with the treatment. In our opinion the no pain, no gain philosophy definitely applies to this treatment, and as Mark always says “There is no skin polishing at ESP”.
How long does it last?
Sessions last between 30 minutes, and an hour. If you want more than an hour then that is possible too.
How much does it cost?
A thirty minute session costs £30 and an hour £45.
Are the therapists qualified?
All sessions are performed by fully trained, and insured practitioners.
How do I book?
Please call us or book online here to make an appointment.